Spread the Word
Trailer
The Press
Buy The BookForumTell a FriendBuy the DVD
Buy the DVDLink to UsNews CoverageBuy The Book
Home » Forum » General Discussions » Jewish Historian
Hello, guest
Name: Panluna  •  Title: Jewish Historian  •  Date posted: 03/31/07 14:34
Q: Does any one know the name of the hebrew historian who cronicled the events of that time? 
Your Answer:
  <<< Login required    |
Name: Nate Spain  •  Date: 03/31/07 14:39
A: I think it was Flavius Josephus, although I don't know if he was **exactly** at the time of Jesus, or maybe 50 or 100 years later. I think, though, that he was contemporary. 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 03/31/07 14:53
A: Thank you.I heard the name on Mysteries of the Bible ,a tv series on a while ago.It was connected to the Masada and he lived at the same time as Jesus and is often referred to as a historic source.Problem is the name escapes my memory at this time. 
Name: QuebecIndieAnna  •  Date: 02/17/08 13:47
A: .

Do Any First Century Historians Mention the Jesus of Christianity?
http://www.godless-geeks.com/LINKS/1stC_Hist.htm

-.- 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 02/26/08 20:22
A: Hi Indie,
I'm not sure who first mentioned or when Jesus was first noted in historic context. 
Name: Sassy  •  Date: 04/27/08 6:13
A: From the back cover of “The New Complete Works of Josephus”:

'Flavius Josephus (c. A.D. 37-100) was born to an aristocratic Jewish family, served as a priest, and later became the commander of Jewish forces in Galilee following the revolt against Rome that began A.D. 66. Captured by the Romans, Josephus spent his later life in Rome under the patronage of the Roman emperors where he composed his history of the Jewish people and his account of the Jewish war that led to the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple in A.D. 70."

Josephus does mention Jesus in his writings, but one must be careful when reading Josephus because there were later additions added to it - i.e. the church added things/beliefs to Josephus' writings, to back up or support their agenda. For one example, Josephus never mentioned Jesus as 'Christ' but that is what you will read today in Josephus' writing as regards Jesus. 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 04/27/08 14:01
A: Wouldn't it be nice if the ancient writtings were kept in their original forms instead of being tampered with? 
Name: Sassy  •  Date: 04/27/08 20:46
A: Yes, Panluna, it would be nice ! However, that's not how it often is.

The Bible has been translated so many times, and scribes made errors unintentionally, while other times they purposefully changed texts to suit their own personal agenda -such as, for one example, all the anti-Semetic quotes in the NT. And, though 'some people' like to claim we have original texts of the Bible, we don't - we don't even have copies of copies of copies of the originals! :0 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 04/28/08 15:30
A: I thought that there might be Greek or Roman historians who's works survived the burning of the Alexandrian Library,the barbaric destruction of Rome and destruction by censorship of anything pre-Christian by the Church.I remember a program that was televised in the early 1990s on I believe it was one of the educational channels which mentioned a name that began with the letter P who literaly saved as much of the written knowledge of the earlier civilizations,copied then hid the works secretly away but when he was caught he was burned amidst his copies--at least the ones that where found by the Church legions.They didn't quite get everything so most of our ancient literature and records were based on what this person's who's name began with a P saved. I just don't remember his name .I believe he hid the originals somewhere and when they were located long after his death those works were translated and archived probably in the Vatican library or some of the other ones throughout Europe when the dark ages came to an end and the Renaissance began or was it the Age of Enlightenment and Reasoning. And those people realized the importance of Classical history. 
Name: Judith  •  Date: 05/26/08 19:52
A: Josephus , but I think I recall reading that he was only twelve years old when he actaully saw John the Baptist. His history was probably from his studies and from first hand eye witnessing if I was right. His chronicles were based upon his chidhood experiences and training from his elders. I still have a copy of the Book of Josephus, that may be worth looking into. 
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 06/01/08 17:58
A: Judith,
I just bought a copy from Amazon.com.Someone told me on another forum that the writtings about Jesus mentioned in Josephus's book where added later on to validate the gospels. 
Name: Judith  •  Date: 06/01/08 20:02
A: I had heard that it was added also when I had questions about the female cult temple and what appeared to be Paul's lady friend in the purple dye business.
But as you say , go with the facts and if they can prove that , I will accept it. Personally, I don't have the facts, I only had questions as to why the female cult chapter would even be in that book, it did not seem to have any relationship to what was being recorded (reported).
I will leave it up to the scholars to prove or disprove.
One things for sure you can not prove gnostic experiences and most of your witnesses either forget what they saw or are all to unwilling to admit to what was .
I had actually paid to get a good deal of this off my chest with a Jewish Psychaiatist, in Solano County CA and after a few visits asked Dr. Kastlebaum if I was losing my mind "am I crazy?"
He laughed and said "No, but you should be". 
Name: Judith  •  Date: 06/02/08 16:29
A: :Panluna
I thought that there might be Greek or Roman historians who's works survived the burning of the Alexandrian Library,the barbaric destruction of Rome and destruction by censorship of anything pre-Christian by the Church.I remember a program that was televised in the early 1990s on I believe it was one of the educational channels which mentioned a name that began with the letter P

would that be Philo?
And here is one of the places I came across John the Baptist in the Book of Josephus

Antiquities of the Jews ; Chapter 18: 5 verse 2
Now some of the Jews thought that the destruction of Herod's army came from God, and that very justly, as a punishment of what he did to John, who was called the Baptist. 
Name: iesus_freak  •  Date: 12/28/08 4:49
A: josephus a jewish historian. he wrote about Yeshua Ha Mashiach 
Name: Judith  •  Date: 12/29/08 12:46
A: Yes Nate it was Flavius Josephus and when your that account , he tells you he was around 12 years old when he saw John the Baptist. 
Name: dot001  •  Date: 12/29/08 19:46
A: Josephus, but you know that and more now. I like this conversation on history. I am new; just signed into forums. I posted on the so-called "Breaking News" topic, but was dissapointed in the conversations. So here I am with intelligent people, good.
I am anxious to know if any more dna tests have been completed, or are being worked on at this time? I have so many questions. 

Jesus of Nazareth Mary Magdalene: Mariamne Early Christianity
Copyright 2024© Jesusfamilytomb.com.
All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions | Contact Us

Design and Marketing by TalMor Media

Link To Us Spread The Word Debate and Discussion Buy DVD