Debate & Discussion
Glossary
Link to Us
Spread the Word
Trailer
The Press
Buy The BookForumTell a FriendBuy the DVD
Buy the DVDLink to UsNews CoverageBuy The Book
Home » Forum » General Discussions » Dig Mt. Zion: An Exciting New Archaeological Excavat
Hello, guest
Name: Patty  •  Title: Dig Mt. Zion: An Exciting New Archaeological Excavat  •  Date posted: 02/13/08 22:12
Q: You are invited to participate as a volunteer “Team Member,” or Contributor/Sponsor, or both, in the excavation of one of the most exciting sites in Jerusalem today.

The area chosen for archaeological study is situated close to a number of important places in the history of the city, namely the Praetorium where Jesus was tried before Pontius Pilate, and the House of Caiaphas and the other priestly families in the Upper City of Jerusalem in the first century CE.

Project Staff and Consultants inclued: Dr. Shimon Gibson, Dr. James Tabor, Egon Lass, Yoav Farhi, Ram Bouchnik and Mareike Grosser

For more information on the dig, go to www.digmountzion.com

To receive a Sponsorship brouchure, please send an email to: [email protected]

Thank You!
Patty 
Your Answer:
  <<< Login required    |
Name: QuebecIndieAnna  •  Date: 06/16/08 2:28
A: .
Hi Patty.
Are you there? In Jerusalem?
The summer dig began today (June 15th, 2008).
Will you post news of the dig results during the excavations over the next days?
Thanks.
Indie

Name: QuebecIndieAnna  •  Date: 06/30/08 11:23
Monday June 30th

Dr. Tabor has posted lettres o the Mount Zion dig .

Indie
Name: Judith  •  Date: 06/30/08 18:30
A: Hello Patty
I have been meaning to send a donation. I will do that today. I would love to go there but bet lost going around the block.
God Bless 
Name: QuebecIndieAnna  •  Date: 07/01/08 4:08
Judith,
I think that the organisation of the digs is such that you are taxied together from hotel to dig site.
If you visit the site that Patty give a link for, you can read up on the various pages having to do with the dig.
There is another group going in August.

Indie
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 07/04/08 18:26
A: I would really love to participate on a dig but I don't have the qualifications and unfortunately at this time I have other plans.Wonder what will be dug up this time. 
Name: QuebecIndieAnna  •  Date: 07/07/08 2:53
Hi Panluma.

Here's the link to Dr. Tabor's report on week-2 of the first summer dig.
The qualifications to go on a dig are - interest; - and being in good physical condition.

http://www.jesusdy-nasty.com/blog/2008/06/

Anyon-e- who reads the reports and other pages there are links for can grasp a lot of what they are doing. Any mother who has walked into her son's messy room and can, in an instant, decifer the chronology of her son's activities over a 6 hour period, just by looking at what is lying around the room, can become an expert digger with a little guidance and a good time line explanation of dirt layers.

A couple of oranges, a big bottle of water, good knee pads, hat, sun screen and glasses and you're set.

To walk around the lake (Tiberiad / Sea of Galilee) on one of your days off, during an excursion, makes the New Testament come alive.

To go off into the Sinai Peninsula interior, away from the resorts on the coast of the Peninsula, is to enter the land of the Old Testament in a special way. To feel yourself almost travelling in time, back 2000 years, and to do so simply because of what you read in the Bible and see around you, is an amazing voyage.

To have tea served to you by a jovial Palestinian is the best experience of all. To listen to people sing along to songs on the radio in their native Arabic is really neat. To eat 50 olives for breakfast, as if they were grapes, is the best breakfast in the world. To sit by the Dead Sea and listen to some silly "Dead Sea Fishermen" jokes is like sitting in an Irish pub and listening to the local story teller recount his tall tales.

To see the night sky in the Sinai interior is to touch heaven.

Indie

Name: Panluna  •  Date: 07/07/08 15:16
A: AWE!!! INDIE,
NOW I r e a l l y wish I could go!!!!! And believe me i've dug through my sons' rooms lot's of time.Good health----yea but I suffered heat stroke once when we were in Arizona so I have to be careful----just can't handle hot temperatures.But honestly i would really love to go on a dig---I have lots of experience dusting things off and fixing things.My husband isn't interested and he made plans for this summer.But SOMEDAY.... 
Name: QuebecIndieAnna  •  Date: 07/08/08 1:30
Panluna!
The next dig is in August. Not so warm then.
I left at the end of July (in 1980).
Nights were cool.
Montreal summer heat can be humid (muggy) and unbearable.
Jerusalem's heat is drier.
Which means that moisture on your skin evaporates.
So, as long as you get enough salt and water, your body acclimatizes pretty quickly. The best thing to do is to wear pale Indian cotton, and cover your whole body.
If you have any gypsy molecules in you, go to a good material store; find a light in colour, light weight (skinny thread), simple weave (up-down/across), Indian cotton.

When I knew I was going, I drew, then made myself my own get up ;
what I wore over there was not ballerina, was not gypsy, was not Muslim, was not native Indian, but a sort of qua-bride of those 4 styles.
My own design.

I did not dress in black, like Muslim women.
I did not dress as a Westerner.
I only had to put sun screen on my face and hands.

Because my material I found was a loose weave, it let air (and a bit of the sun rays) through.

So, the layer next to my skin was a waist-vesty kind of thing, but with puffy, full length sleeves, which I decorated with flowers at the wrists, and peddal-pusher pants, darker in colour,
which I could easily strip down to when in a cave and with just Westerners;

Layer two was a sleveless vest-like garment, which flowed down to my ankles, was pale in colour, and very plain; it buttoned up the front, and down to the bottom; it had slits in the side, up to the knee, so I could walk comfortably. At the back, on the inside, at the level of the small of my back, I sewed a thingy like we see in tents, to hold tent flaps ; I unbotton it almost to the top and tie the long vest at my back when I needed to be free of material at my sides and front, when working in the dirt, or climbing. Then, when I returned to public places, I pulled the bow at my back, the long vest resumed is long dress-like function, and I'd button down to my ankles again.

My Palestinian guide took to calling me Pochahontas.

I strongly feel that damage from the sun's rays is why Easterners evoled the fashions they have, not religion. We Westerners gripe about how women dress in the Middle East. No one ever mentions that men too dress in cotton or linen, from head to toe. So strange a silence, think I.

I once saw a lady on a beach in the US with such sun tanned skin, such wrinkled skin. I still wonder why....

Layer three, was a mono-coloured, bright colour, scarf, which I wore on my head, to protect my scalp, ears, neck and cheeks from the sun.
It came in handy when we went places requiring women's heads to be covered. Christian places. Orthodox, Christian places.
I didn't have to cover my head in the Mosque of the Dome of the Rock...

I so loved not greasing myself with sun screen.

With proper meals, particularly the noontime meal, anyone can easily adapt to the climate.

Indie

Name: Panluna  •  Date: 07/08/08 13:53
A: Indie,
Thanks for the clothing tips. The fashion from the Middle East evolved in their style out of necessity. and from available materials.Can you imagine dressing in camel hair or sheep's wool.?It always helps to dress like the natives.I do have a bit of the Roma but it's from a great-great grandfather who disappeared in the early 1900's.Nothing in my natal chart indicates that I'm an adventurer or explorer except in my dreams.I did check out a website about Mt Zion.it's really a very interesting city.I have been trying to find out what the oldest archaeological site for the most ancient civilization is since the main dispute is between the establishment of Sumer vs Lemuria ( possibly Eden) and it seems to go way back to pre-historic eras possibly before Toba erupted 75,000 years ago nearly wiping out 98% of the world's species and human population.I suppose we will never know if the Kumara legend is the true story about our origins.I'm actually surprised that the legend survived this long. 
Name: QuebecIndieAnna  •  Date: 03/01/11 13:54

Hello all.

In October of this year, Dr. Tabor is leading a tour in Israel.
See details at http://jamestabor.com/blog/

Indie

Jesus of Nazareth Mary Magdalene: Mariamne Early Christianity
Copyright 2024© Jesusfamilytomb.com.
All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions | Contact Us

Design and Marketing by TalMor Media

Link To Us Spread The Word Debate and Discussion Buy DVD