Debate & Discussion
Glossary
Link to Us
Spread the Word
Trailer
The Press
Buy The BookForumTell a FriendBuy the DVD
Buy the DVDLink to UsNews CoverageBuy The Book
Home » Forum » Archeology of Jesus » Was there any Grafiti in / around the tomb?
Hello, guest
Name: Dennis  •  Title: Was there any Grafiti in / around the tomb?  •  Date posted: 03/05/07 12:56
Q: In the case of both the tomb of St. Peter's under St. Peter's basilica in Rome and the Loretto in Ancona, Italy (which is said to house "the House of the Holy Family" from Nazareth - the structure was disassembled during the Crusader era, and taken back, first to present day Yugoslavia and later to Ancona re-assembled there, with a much larger church built around it) 1st - 2nd century Christian graffiti present on the structures has been cited as evidence that the sites were venerated by Christians early on. (The tomb of St. Peter's was literally covered with early century Christian grafitti).

What besides the odd sign of the chevron has been found at the site of the "Jesus tomb"? Was there any other graffiti present there both inside and outside the tomb?

Dennis 
Your Answer:
  <<< Login required    |
Name: MWAnderson  •  Date: 03/06/07 2:55
A: Just from what I saw in the film [which could be out of sequence], it seemed that there was writing on the walls inside the tomb--but the Israel's sealed the tomb, and so far [I gather] that's that.

It seems to me that this whole exercise was presented [and rightly so, IMO] to draw attention to not only what was discovered & shown, but what might be learned if further investigation were permitted. I think at least very plausible that areas of potential additional evidence of early christians have been located, and that the bigger picture [regardless of what it reveals] is worth pursuing.

I couldn't help but come away with the feeling that the chevron/circle symbol is somehow linked to early christianity--and that further investigation might reveal a great deal about early christians, and perhaps reinforce or detract from the theories about the "Jesus Family Tomb."

But...Christians don't want this because it reveals the HUGE degree of fear they conceal beneath their religion--which is, in general, the fear of death, but additionally for the Fundamentalist Right is an added fear of the loss of leverage--which equates to the loss of political power. The Israelis don't want this for political reasons as well--Big Brother USA could become less supportive of their terrorist efforts against...whomever in the middle east they see as a threat this week. 
Name: Dennis  •  Date: 03/06/07 6:21
A: I have a feeling that the tomb will be _reopened_ now ;-). 
Name: lightwoman  •  Date: 03/09/07 6:54
A: MWAnderson, you have hit the nail on the head! Fear sums it up. It was pretty darn interesting how quickly the IAA arrived and had that tomb resealed, toute suite! Maybe the Israeli government doesn't want to risk losing all that financial support they receive from the American Christian right.... just a guess, like the war in Iraq ain't about oil... ;-)

I for one would love to see this whole thing investigated further, the tomb reopened, the reburied bones located and exhumed, etc. I am a follower of Jesus/Yeshua's teachings, and have no bones to pick (LOL!), I just want to learn the truth. It may be that there further study will turn up nothing, but that's no reason to drop it now and not try. Why fear the truth if it can be found? 
Name: Brent Pearson  •  Date: 03/26/08 21:11
A: As a Historian, I am deeply disturbed by the Isreali Antiquities department to shut the tomb from further study. It would seem that if there were inscriptions on the tomb, they should be deciphered and additional archeological work should be done. Two billion people have a right to know before some idiot destroys the tomb. Open the tomb with cameras and lets see what the inscriptions say. From my understanding inscriptions are rare and they could be telling in light of the latest research. 

Jesus of Nazareth Mary Magdalene: Mariamne Early Christianity
Copyright 2024© Jesusfamilytomb.com.
All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions | Contact Us

Design and Marketing by TalMor Media

Link To Us Spread The Word Debate and Discussion Buy DVD