Link to Us
Spread the Word
Trailer
The Press
Buy The BookForumTell a FriendBuy the DVD
Buy the DVDLink to UsNews CoverageBuy The Book
Home » Forum » Mary Magdalene » MARAIMENE IS MARY MAGDALENE here's the proof
Hello, guest
Name: Nate  •  Title: MARAIMENE IS MARY MAGDALENE here's the proof  •  Date posted: 05/22/07 7:09
Q: If you were to assemble all of the Jewish people of the first century into a single innumerable crowd, and were to call out “How many men here are named Jesus?” one out of every ten male hands would go up. That’s a multitude! If you were to call out, “How many men named Jesus also have a mother named Mary?” the numbers would thin out considerably to a fraction of the original number. Then if you were to call out, “How many men here named Jesus who have a mother named Mary also have a father or step father named Joseph?” the crowd would thin even more to a very tiny fraction of the original number.

If you were then to call out “How many men named Jesus that have a mother named Mary, a father or stepfather named Joseph, also have a wife, sister, aunt, or cousin named Mariamene e Mara?” the number thins out to only one man. Why? Because the name Mariamene e Mara has only been found on this one single ossuary! Out of the many thousands of ossuaries found, the name Mariamene e Mara is found on none other! It is conceivable that such an ossuary still lies buried, but if so it has yet to be found.

To further complicate matters for critics, “Mariamene” only occurs in two places other than on the ossuary found in the tomb of Jesus. “Mariamene” occurs in the Gospel of Phillip--which is early, from the second century--and is applied to Mary Magdalene, as well as to the mother and a sister of Jesus. Here is the verse, verse 36, from the gospel of Philip:

“There were three Mariamenes who walked with the Lord at all times: his mother and sister and [the] Magdalene, this one who is called his companion. Thus his mother and sister and mate is [each named] Mariamene.”

Here we are informed that the mother of Jesus, his sister, and his mate/wife are all called Mariamene, therefore the name Mariamene is definitely connected with Magdalene, as well as his sister. So, the Mariamene ossuary might be the sister of Jesus or it might be his wife, the Magdalene. Which is more likely? Mitochondrial DNA tests of the bone material left in the Jesus and Mariamene ossuaries was tested and the bones are not of people of blood relation. Since they are not genetically related, that rules out a sister or mother or aunt or cousin and narrows it down to the Magdalene as being the Mariamene on the ossuary. She is called the mate of Jesus in the gospel of Philip.

This identification is further strengthened by the long tradition of the Eastern Orthodox Churches, which refer to Mary Magdalene as “Mariamene.” They have done so since the fourth century based on early liturgical textual evidence. Orthodox liturgical texts date back to the very early centuries, to at least as far back as the time of Saint Basil the Great, the early fourth century.
Probably much earlier, based on the Gospel of Phillip evidence.

On her Feast Day, Saint Mary Magdalene is honored in the Orthodox Churches as “Mariamene.” Now that the world is discovering, from the Gnostic Gospels, the place of Headship that Mary Magdalene played in early Christianity as “the apostle to the apostles” it becomes clear why she is called “Mara” or “Master!” Her place of leadership once surpassed that of any of the male apostles!

Some of the opponents of this tomb being the tomb of Jesus stated: “The first use of ‘Mariamene’ for Mary Magdalene dates to a scholar who was born in 185 AD, suggesting that Magdalene wouldn't have been called that at her death.” The “scholar” they’re slyly referring to is the anonymous author of the gospel of Philip! This sort of dishonesty is typical of those committed to an ideology or preconceived notion rather than facts. They oppose the “tomb of Jesus” on ideological grounds rather than evidential grounds, factual grounds. If they are so sure of their position, why be sneaky and dishonest and not simply come right out and admit that they’re referring to the anonymous author of the so-called gospel of Philip? Why be vague and say “a scholar who was born in 185 AD”? Because that would undermine their own position since in other places they throttle the gospel of Philip as “untrustworthy.” The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society engages in this same sort of “lying for the truth.” This same sort of oily two-faced behavior. One can lie by what one omits just as surely as by what one includes.

These opponents, living two millennia removed from the time period of Jesus, are quite sure that “Mariamene e Mara” being applied to Mary Magdalene in 185 AD by the apostle Philip “suggests that Mary Magdalene was not called such at her death.” What nonsense! It doesn’t suggest anything of the sort. That’s circular reasoning and wishful thinking on their part: “We have an ossuary that says ‘Jesus son of Joseph’ and another that says ‘Mariamene e Mara’ but this is not evidence that this is Mary Magdalene because the name ‘Mariamene e Mara’ is not applied to Mary Magdalene until 185 AD.” That is classic circular reasoning. I remind the reader that the Orthodox tradition of assigning this title to Mary Magdalene is possibly even older than 185 AD, based on very ancient liturgical texts.

What these people are purposely hoping you won’t notice is that “Mariamene” IS APPLIED TO NO ONE ELSE ANYWHERE IN ALL OF HISTORY EXCEPT MARY MAGDALENE, THE SISTER OF JESUS, AND HIS MOTHER. Plus, it has been found NOWHERE ELSE except in the gospel of Philip, the ossuary from the Jesus tomb, and in the liturgical texts of the Eastern Orthodox Church that honor Mary Magdalene by this name! So, please excuse me if I find that fact to be impressive evidence that the Mariamene e Mara ossuary is indeed the ossuary of Mary Magdalene when coupled with the mitochondrial DNA evidence. There is no excuse for the dishonest methods of the critics and opponents of this tomb being the tomb of Jesus. Yet that doesn’t cause me to lie and twist evidence and leave out important facts.

There’s no escaping it folks, unless your mind is made up and you‘re simply looking for ways to weasel out of the facts. Finding a first century tomb with ossuaries bearing the names “Jesus son of Joseph” “Maria” and “Mariamene e Mara” lends great weight to the argument that this is indeed the tomb of Jesus Christ. 
Your Answer:
  <<< Login required    |
Name: Panluna  •  Date: 06/05/07 13:57
A: I agree with you. 
Name: jared  •  Date: 06/21/07 12:14
A: You’re not getting much feed back on this are you! But for what its worth I agree with you.
Cheers 
Name: eirini_cy  •  Date: 08/07/07 7:38
A: @ Nate: I can tell you how the ossuary of Mariamne is a fake. Just give this a chance and read it.

Is it not strange that it the greek on the ossuary is written in modern greek script - the most noted words of "Μαρια & Μαρα" (maria and mara)
since modern greek was first adopted in mid 1400's to present dates - its very strange the occusary has a modern Alpha and Rho.

Ancient greek (most likey spoken at time of Jesus) is much different to modern greeks alphabet - the alpha and Rho is much different to modern greek.

This ossuary is most likely a very poor fake - there is no possible way for this ossuary to have Modern Greek letters if its from the day of Christ (Xristos).

The picture of the writting on the ossuary: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com/wp-co-ntent/uploads/2007/03/mary.jpg
show-s- moden greek letters Rho: ρ and Alpha: α - in modern forms

This is a fake! it must be 
Name: sojourner  •  Date: 04/17/08 16:18
A: Thank you Nate! Why are we all here talking about this if it isn't momentous and deeply exciting! I'm not even a Christian, but I can admire the great figure of the gospel accounts, and no one can escape the overwhelming effect the church has had on everything and everybody these last two thousand years. It wasn't stressed in the book, but for me the most startling anomoly of this very unusual tomb was the very ornate Mariamene ossuary, and the designation e Mara. A woman was designated Master, and honored with an elaborate ossuary. And this woman is associated with remains inscribed as Jesus son of Joseph, not to mention the association with the famous James, brother of Jesus ossuary. WHO ELSE COULD WE BE TALKING ABOUT HERE, FOLKS? 
Name: QuebecIndieAnna  •  Date: 05/03/08 3:36
A: .

Hello Eirini_cy.

At the site
http://www.jesusdynasty.com/blo-g/category/talpiot-jesus-family-tomb/-

it say :

" In other words, we have lots of examples of
the Greek forms Mariam, Mariame, and Mariames,
and but only this single reference to Mariamene
–with the letter “nun”
and it is in the special neuter diminutive form
–showing endearment. "

I am not sure I understand everything, but this schoolar does not
seem to mention there being modern Greek on this bone box.

My understanding is that the form of the name is kinda like
an endearment version of a name in bilingual form;

I wonder if the following example might be accurate :
- say I have a brother with a French name...
say "Jacques". Say he enters an English cultural world
and that English world begins to call him "Jaqe".
Then, he marries an English girl, whose pet name for him
is "Jaquy".

What do we have ? We have a name that has a French
sounding, yet the Anglo lettre /y/ (instead of /ie/),
yet retaining the /q/ from the French (instead of the Anglo /ck/ of /Jack/.

This tomb has not 1, not 2, but 3 names that are unusual,
2 of which seem to point to the family being multicultural.

I've read a lot on the inscriptions and nowhere have I read that the name is written in Greek. I have only read that the name is written with Hebrew lettering, but in the form that the name would have in a Greek family.

I don't know if my FrenGlish example is valid, but it sort of is what I understand from the reading I have done.

Indie

Name: Judith  •  Date: 06/02/08 16:35
A: Antiquities of the Jews ; Chapter 13:4 (349)
The like befell Glaphyra his wife, who was the daughter of the king Archelaus, wo , as I said before was , married, while she was a virgin, to Alexander, the son of Herod, and brother of Archelaus; but sense it fell out so that Alexander wa slain by his father, she was married to Juba, the King of Libya , (350) and when he was dead , and she lived in widowhood in Cappadocia with her father, Archelaus, divorced his former wife, Mariamne, and married her, so great was his affection for her; who , during her marriage to him saw the following dream- 
Name: [email protected]  •  Date: 09/12/08 22:09
A: The name Mariamne can be found in only two Greek texts:
the "Acts of Philip" (not the "Gospel of Philip" which does refer to Mary Magdalene);
and also in the text by Hippolytus, "Refutation of All Heresies." Hippolytus (170-236 CE) writes in the beginning of Book V, Ch. II:

"These are the heads of very numberous discourses which (the Naassene) asserts James the brother of the Lord handed down to Mariamne. In order, then, that these impious (heretics) may no longer belie Marimne or James or the Saviour Himself, let us come to the mystic rites (whence these have derived their figment), -- to a consideration, if it seems right, of both the Barbarian and Grecian (mysteries), -- and let us see how these (heretics), collecting together the secret and ineffable mysteries of all the Gentiles, are uttering falsehoods against Christ, and making dupes of those who are not acquainted with these orgies of Gentiles." [Source: The Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol. V, p. 48, Eerdmans, 1995]

Also it is frequently claimed that Mariamne is the well-known name of the Hasmonean princess who was the 2nd (and favorite) wife of Herod the Great -- until he had her killed. This spelling of the name Miriam is found in translations of the works of Josephus. However, in the original Greek of Josephus the name of the Hasmonean princess is Marime (without the letter nu for "n").

James Tabor, in his "Jesus Dynasty" blog of June 1, 2008, makes this point and also the very important point that a computer search of all ancient Greek manuscripts came up with the spelling of the name Mariamne (with the nu) in only two sources, the "Acts of Philip" and Hippolytus' "Refutation of All Heresies". In both cases Mariamne is identifiable with Mary Magdalene. The only ossuary found, so far, with this name is the one at the Talpiot tomb.

This would seem to be very strong evidence that the Marimane ossuary is that of Mary Magdalene. 

Jesus of Nazareth Mary Magdalene: Mariamne Early Christianity
Copyright 2024© Jesusfamilytomb.com.
All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions | Contact Us

Design and Marketing by TalMor Media

Link To Us Spread The Word Debate and Discussion Buy DVD