Link to Us
Spread the Word
Trailer
The Press
Buy The BookForumTell a FriendBuy the DVD
Buy the DVDLink to UsNews CoverageBuy The Book
Home » Forum » General Discussions » Jonah and the Third Day
Hello, guest
Name: wilted desert rose  •  Title: Jonah and the Third Day  •  Date posted: 07/04/14 23:32
Q: I know that scholars keep insisting that Marks Book is closer to truth , but if the tomb they found actually has Jonah being spewed out of the Whales mouth then Matthew has information Mark didn't have . The Fact that there is a Matthew found in the Jesus Tomb says a great deal and more if the Joseph of Arimathia tomb is correct 
Your Answer:
  <<< Login required    |
Name: QuebecIndieAnna  •  Date: 07/05/14 7:50
A: Hello WDR.

As a kid, my father's work meant we moved a lot.

When I played card games with my friends, I'd learn the rules of one game and think that this or that game was played in this or that way.

Then we'd move.

I'd find new friends.

We'd pull out the cards and start playing games with names that were familiar to me, but with rules I was unfamiliar with.

By my analogy I mean the following:
- each place we lived in had card games with the same names;
- those games had some of the same rules, but there were variations from one place to another.

The elements that were common no matter where I lived seemed to some from the 'original' game.

The elements that were 'different' seemed to be 'seepage' from local culture.

Suppose, for a moment, that the 'original' game arrived in place 'G', and adopts elements from a local game that is a recent invention in the year 44.

Suppose, for a moment, that ten years later, the 'original' game arrived in place 'J', and adopts elements from a local game that has been around for a long, long time.

One might then be able to say the following two things and still be correct:

"The 'original' game arrived in 'G' first, but has 'adopted' elements from the year 44."

"The 'original' game arrived in 'J' 10 years later, but has 'adopted' elements that date farther back than the year 44.

That is the reality with the different texts of the Bible. All agree that there is a 'Source Q'. But, the 'add-ons' are not easy to place in time.

Peace,

Indie

elements and some elements that seemed common to game no matter where I was living. 
Name: wilted desert rose  •  Date: 07/08/14 16:27
A: Thank you Indie
I do not see how that relates to the Whale on that ossary, or Jonah being spit out the mouth of that big fish, in the second tomb, but did understand what you said, just don't know how to apply that to my subject. 
Name: QuebecIndieAnna  •  Date: 07/25/14 14:27
A: .
July 25th 2014

Hello WD Rose,

In the New Testament, Mark is said to contain the earliest sources.

The Gospels of Mt and Lc, which are said to have been compiled later, have a 'whale' reference.

A whale drawing is on a "2nd-burrial" bone box (ossuairy).
"Second-burrial" limestone bone boxes were used during a very short time (circa -40 bce to +40 ce).

Mr. Yacobovici compares inscriptions on bone boxes to finding a set of telephone books for a specific 70-year period. If this analogy is accurate, then a 'whale' gospel element has been found that predates the two gospels that have a 'whale reference'.

My card-game analogy is meant to illustrate that older elements of something can get put into newer elements of something and "throw off" (for a while) our dating of something.

Another analogy:
- the Volk Wagon car, back in 1949 and in the 50s, had a "cubby hole" behind the back seat.

- newer versions of the car did not have this 'deep' storage space;
- newer versions of the car had a flat "back dash" surface.

- say the company decides to bring back this feature in 2015.

- say in 200 years from now someone find a 2015 model of the car in a junk yard and exclaims "Hey! A 1950s Volks!" That 'dating' of the 'cubby-hole-behind-the-back-seat' Volks would be incorrect.

New Testament whale references, be they in the 7th and 8th decade gospels of Mt or Lc, but not in a 5th decade Mc, and not on a possible 4th decade bone box is such an anachronism.

My exegesis and chronology is rusty as heck and my decades might be off. I'm too lazy to go look things up and check my decades. But, even if my example has mistakes, I hope my general idea is sort of correct.

Sorry folks (and Volks) (ha, ha, couldn't resist) if I bungled this amateur effort at exegesis. James Tabor's writing might be the real source to go to the clear this up.

Indie

Name: QuebecIndieAnna  •  Date: 07/25/14 15:55
A: .
An hour later. Same day.

I'm back.

Just did a bit of reading on Dr. Tabor's site. I'm out of touch with more recent artifacts with drawings of whale spitting up a human form. Slacked off on my reading over a year ago. I try to get caught up in summer.

Thought I'd let you know, WD Rose, that my responses above were in reference to the first whale drawing on a bone box that broke in the news with a smash a while back. If other objects with whale drawing have been spoken of recently (in 2013, 2014), I am not up to speed on those. So what I wrote above may be in the cotton field.

That idiom is my lame translation of the French "dans l'champ de patate" (in the potato field), which, in "American" , would be "out in left field". I.e. : wrong, faulty.

Indie

Jesus of Nazareth Mary Magdalene: Mariamne Early Christianity
Copyright 2024© Jesusfamilytomb.com.
All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions | Contact Us

Design and Marketing by TalMor Media

Link To Us Spread The Word Debate and Discussion Buy DVD